El periódico “Los Angeles Times“, ha publicado un extracto del informe del ejército americano sobre los abusos en las cárceles de Abu Ghraib y Camp Bucca, en Irak.
I find that the intentional abuse of detainees by military police personnel included the following acts:
* Punching, slapping and kicking detainees; jumping on their naked feet.
* Videotaping and photographing naked male and female detainees.
* Forcibly arranging detainees in various sexually explicit positions for photographing.
* Forcing detainees to remove their clothing and keeping them naked for several days at a time.
* Forcing naked male detainees to wear women’s underwear.
* Forcing groups of male detainees to masturbate themselves while being photographed and videotaped.
* Arranging naked male detainees in a pile and then jumping on them.
* Positioning a naked detainee on a box [of meals ready to eat], with a sandbag on his head, and attaching wires to his fingers, toes and penis to simulate electric torture.
* Writing “I am a Rapest” (sic) on the leg of a detainee alleged to have forcibly raped a 15-year-old fellow detainee, and then photographing him naked.
* Placing a dog chain or strap around a naked detainee’s neck and having a female soldier pose for a picture.
* A male MP [military police] guard having sex with a female detainee.
* Using military working dogs (without muzzles) to intimidate and frighten detainees, and in at least one case biting and severely injuring a detainee.
* Taking photographs of dead Iraqi detainees.
In addition, several detainees also described the following acts of abuse, which under the circumstances, I find credible based on the clarity of their statements and supporting evidence provided by other witnesses:
* Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees.
* Threatening detainees with a charged 9-millimeter pistol.
* Pouring cold water on naked detainees.
* Beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair.
* Threatening male detainees with rape.
* Allowing a military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his cell.
* Sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broomstick.